Feeling stressed? As the anxiety and bickering levels have increased in our household over the last few weeks, I searched for lists of tips for calming down.
The 18 flashcards in this set are a collection of advice gathered from mental health websites and blogs.
The ideas are useful for dealing with the social isolation that the COVID-19 pandemic is causing at the moment, but are equally helpful for reducing stress in normal times as well. The Canadian Mental Health Association has an good article about maintaining wellness here: “Pandemic pushing your anxiety buttons?”
Like the COVID-19 Hygiene Flashcards set, I put together these cards with icons from the The Noun Project. If you need simple images to customize a lesson plan, the Noun Project is a great place to look.
Also, just like the hygiene set, this Wellness Flashcards set includes three types of cards in each of the small, medium, and large size sets:
- image-only picture flashcards
- word-only flashcards with phrases
- picture flashcards with labels
Be mindful when printing– you may not need to print all 54 cards!!
Tips for Maintaining Wellness
The cards reflect some of the most common suggestions for calming down and staying healthy in times of stress:
- Drink water.
- Eat healthy food.
- Get facts.
- Get fresh air.
- Get sunshine.
- Get rest.
- Keep in touch.
- Keep a journal.
- Keep a routine.
- Limit your intake of news.
- Listen to music.
- Practice a hobby.
- Take a walk.
- Do yoga.
Vocabulary Building and Discussions
Use these cards for vocabulary building by brainstorming ways to incorporate healthy habits into your day. Or, for students who are more conversational, use the cards for starting discussions about ways to de-stress:
- What do you usually do to calm down?
- What would you suggest to a friend who is feeling stressed out?
- Have you ever tried ~~~ ?
- How do you remind yourself to ~~~ every day? [ex. drink enough water / exercise / get fresh air]
- What are your favourite ~~~ [ex. hobbies / comedy shows / relaxing music] ?
- Do you have a good recipe for a healthy snack?
- What do you think is the most relaxing ~~~ [ex. music / hobby / habit ]?
- Do you find [classical music] more relaxing than [jazz]?
- Who are you staying in touch with? How? By phone, chat, video, mail?
- What are the best tools for staying in touch?
- What are some fun ways to exercise indoors?
- What sources of health information / news do you trust?
- Do you have any tricks for getting off the news?
If you feel your stress levels are more than you can manage, seek out help from a professional health care worker or counsellor. Start by contacting local mental health association where you live.
OK, time to get some sunshine in my backyard!
Set of 18 Cards:
- do yoga
- drink water
- eat healthy food
- get facts
- get fresh air
- get rest
- get sunshine
- keep a journal
- keep a routine
- keep in touch
- limit news
- listen to music
- practice a hobby
- take a walk